Sunday, March 22, 2009

Is Michelle a tool of distraction?


Fashion, gardening, cooking, community service, and family.

Michelle Obama is playing it safe, engaging in the most domestic and traditional of stereotypical female activities. Luckily, she is accomplishing her agenda with mindful intelligence, and aside from the 'Fashion' part, the rest of these issues really are important for Americans.

She is glamourous and fascinating, and I'm starting to wonder if the president relies on her as an unintended distraction. The country is in serious trouble right now (see Has A Katrina Moment Arrived?), yet it seems like every time I turn to a serious news website, I find myself drawn to a new fashion slideshow of Michelle.

The first lady is now an icon like her husband, and I fear that her likability will soften our criticism of the president. Is she being used to distract?

I could be wrong... but I think she is.

No comments: